West Palm Beach Class Action Lawsuit Attorneys
Consumer Class Actions allow for a large group of people who have been injured or suffered losses from the same party to receive compensation. The people who bring a class-action case are often called “class representatives” or “named plaintiffs,” and their names are listed in the title of the case. They sue on behalf of themselves and other people who have similar claims, called the “class” or “class members.”
Class actions may be brought in state or federal court and may involve class members in one state, several states or throughout the country. Class action cases help to further the goals of consumer protection and protect the rights of consumers. Contact our experienced West Palm Beach class action lawsuit attorneys today.
This type of suit offers many benefits for both class members and the legal system:
- Class action litigation is very efficient, easing the burden on the legal system by reducing the amount of time and money required to resolve consumer complaints.
- Both the court system and defendants benefit by resolving similar consumer issues and legal claims in one court, rather than on a piecemeal basis in numerous state or federal courts.
- An individual consumer is rarely a match for huge corporations with large legal staffs. By joining with many people in one case, consumers in class action cases level the legal playing field.
- Consumers who suffer damages that are too small to warrant an individual suit can join in a class action to pursue a claim against a wrongdoer in a cost-effective manner.
For example, if an individual consumer suffers a loss of $50 or $100, the consumer is unlikely to sue to recover such a small sum. Class actions permit consumers to pool legal claims that might be uneconomical and unrealistic to litigate individually.
A class action is a critical deterrent to the future misconduct of defendants (the persons or corporations being sued) and others in the same industry. While successful class actions may bring only small recoveries to each individual class member, when all class members’ recoveries are combined, the total amount recovered may be substantial-perhaps even millions of dollars. Such an award becomes a tremendous incentive for businesses and individuals to adopt more ethical practices.
In class action suits, class members and their consumer class action attorneys often act as “private attorneys general” to enforce laws to protect the public at large by obtaining court orders leading to significant changes in wrongful practices and requiring disgorgement of illegal profits.
Among other things, class action suits have:
- Granted various forms of relief for consumers who were the victims of fraud, deceptive, or unfair business practices.
- Removed many defective products from the market and held accountable those who made them available to the public.
- Upheld the civil and privacy rights of individuals.
- Compensated class members who have been overcharged, charged false premiums, fees, and costs; or charged illegally high interest rates and penalties.
Contact a West Palm Beach Consumer Class Action Attorney
The consumer class action lawyers at Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith have the experience, skills, and leadership to handle consumer class action litigation. If you find yourself in a situation where you feel you may have been cheated, please give us a call and let us help you. The consultation is free, and you will work directly with an experienced West Palm Beach Consumer Class Action Attorney to push your case forward. 561-655-2028