Michael S. Smith
Mickey Smith has practiced trial law in Florida for over three decades. He was born in Williamson, West Virginia, in 1960. Mickey excelled in high school and received a merit scholarship to attend Virginia Tech. He was thrilled since neither of his parents could attend college. Mr. Smith majored in Engineering at Virginia Tech and received his degree, magna cum laude, in 1982, graduating with a 3.70-grade point average (3.96 in his major). His hard work in college was rewarded with a merit scholarship to the Duke University School of Law. While in law school, he was elected to the prestigious Order of the Coif, based on his outstanding academic achievements at Duke. Mickey received his degree in 1985, with high honors.
For many years, Mickey only represented insurance companies and other large corporations. He ultimately became an equity shareholder at Kubicki Draper, a prestigious, statewide defense firm. Mr. Smith defended claims involving serious personal injury, wrongful death, and insurance bad faith. After trying over 100 cases for insurance companies, he became increasingly frustrated because his talents were merely being used to minimize or defeat victims’ claims. Mickey wanted to use his talents to help ordinary people who had valid claims.
On May 1, 2002, Mickey refused to represent insurance companies any longer and strictly limited his practice to representing victims with significant claims. His dream of practicing law with his best friends, Gary Lesser and Joe Landy, was fulfilled in August 2004, when Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith was formed. Mickey’s practice continues to be limited to representing individuals and families who have suffered serious personal injury, wrongful death, or have been victimized because of the bad faith practices of an insurance company.
Mickey has been married for over 35 years to Elizabeth Smith, a retired public-school teacher. Mickey and Lizz live in Wellington, Florida, and are both extremely active in their community. Mickey’s hobbies include travel (all seven continents visited), Miami Dolphins football, Duke basketball, and Virginia Tech football. During his career as a skydiver, Mickey accumulated over 2,800 jumps and over 48 hours of freefall time. Nevertheless, he finds nothing more thrilling than presenting a case to a jury.
- Board Certified and Re-Certified in Civil Trial Law by The Florida Bar (2002 – Present)
- Board Certified and Re-Certified in Civil Trial Law (2002 – Present) and Civil Pretrial Practice Law (2012 – Present) by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, including trial bar (1990)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida (1990)
- Supreme Court of the United States (1990)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit (1986)
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida (1985)
- The Florida Bar (1985)
- MENSA (Membership is limited to those whose IQ is in the top 2% of the population).
- The Best Lawyers in America; listed in the specialties of Insurance Law and Personal Injury Litigation. (This publication “is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession.” An exhaustive, confidential survey of the top lawyers in the U.S. determines who is included).
- The Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiffs Lawyers in America.
- Daily Business Review: Verdicts Hall of Fame 2014 and 2015 (based on jury verdicts received)
- American Board of Trial Advocates; Palm Beach Chapter Past President and current Executive Committee member (ABOTA is an invitation-only group of experienced trial lawyers “who display skill, civility, and integrity”).
- Florida Super Lawyers; Personal Injury Law. (Ballots are sent to experienced lawyers, who are asked “to nominate the best lawyers they’ve personally observed in action.” Only 5% of Florida attorneys are selected).
- Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum (selection based on case results).
- Florida’s Top Lawyers; Personal Injury Law (This exclusive list is compiled by Florida Monthly magazine based upon independent voting).
- “AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell for the highest level of legal ability and ethics
- American Association for Justice
- Florida Justice Association
- Palm Beach County Justice Association (Board of Directors, 2003-2006)
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- The Boys & Girls Club (Wellington, FL), Advisory Board of Directors
- Wellington Community Foundation, Board of Directors
- Central Palm Beach County Community Foundation, Board of Directors
- Central Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Rotary Club of Wellington, FL; Paul Harris Fellow
- Palms West Planning Committee
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., with high honors (1985)
- Virginia Tech, B.S. in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, magna cum laude (1982)
- Born in Williamson, WV; Married to Lizz since 1983; Lives in Wellington, FL