Premises Liability Lawyer
Premises liability is a large area of law that covers accidents that happen on property. If you fell down rickety stairs, tripped over a pothole in a parking lot, or slipped on a wet floor, then you might have a premises liability claim.
At Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith, our lawyers have brought many premises liability claims. Our goal is to protect your rights when a property owner has been negligent.
Types of Premises Liability Claims
People are injured in all manner of accidents, including:
- Trip and falls: a person trips over debris or another object that should not be in the path of foot traffic.
- Slip and falls: spilled liquid or worn carpeting causes a person to lose their footing, sending them tumbling to the ground.
- Dog bites: a dangerous dog can bite a visitor to the property unprovoked.
- Negligent security: inadequate security invites thieves and other criminals, who can injure a person in a hotel, apartment building, or store.
The owner or occupier of the premises owes visitors a duty to keep the property reasonably safe. Unfortunately, many are well aware of the dangers but choose to ignore them, leading to completely avoidable injuries.
What to Do after a Premises Liability Accident
These are tricky cases to bring for several reasons. One reason is that the property owner might quickly fix the hazard that injured you and then claim that you are to blame for your own injuries. For example, you might have slipped on a puddle of water at a nearby fast food restaurant, but the owner quickly mops the floor and claims you tripped over your own feet.
To help your case, remember to do the following:
- Take a picture of the hazard, if you can. Use your smartphone or, if you are too injured, ask someone else to take a picture. A photograph can be very helpful.
- Identify anyone who saw you get injured. Get their names and phone numbers.
- Document your injuries thoroughly. Hold onto medical records and receipts for all medical care. Also take pictures of your injuries soon after the incident.
- Notify the premises owner as soon as possible and ask for the name of their insurer. You will need to make a claim.
- Don’t agree to a settlement without meeting with an attorney first. Chances are the insurer is not making the best settlement offer they could.
In many situations, our clients have managed to get compensation for medical care, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Each case is different, and a person generally receives more money the more serious their injuries.
We are the Premises Liability Lawyers to Call in Boca Raton
The days following an accident can be confusing. You are probably in pain and unsure about what to do. Fortunately, a skilled premises liability lawyer can help you make a claim the right way and improve your chances of receiving a full financial recovery.
Speak with a lawyer at Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith today. You can schedule a free initial consultation with one of our lawyers today.