Rideshare Services May Reduce Car Accident Injuries In Florida
Can Uber and Lyft help to reduce the rate of car accident injuries in Florida and across the country? According to a recent study conducted by researchers at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) and published in JAMA Surgery, it appears that they can lower the overall rate of auto collision injuries.
New Study Says Uber, Lyft, and Other Rideshare Apps Can Reduce Car Accident Injury Rates
According to an article about the study in the Insurance Journal, the authors of the study determined that “rideshare volume had a significant correlation with the incidence of motor vehicle-related trauma, with a reduction in the rate of incidence by one-third for every 1,000 rides,” and they found that the “rate continued to drop as more rides occurred.”
Using rideshare apps instead of driving had the biggest effect on car accident injury rates among people under the age of 30. Indeed, based on the research, car accident injuries are lowered by nearly 40 percent for people in this age group who use rideshare apps instead of driving. What is the reason for the sharp decline in injury rates when rideshare vehicles are involved? In short, the researchers suggest, Uber and Lyft can lower the incidence rate of drunk driving accidents and injuries.
What to Do If You Are Injured in a Car Accident
While rideshare apps appear to reduce rates of motor vehicle accidents and injuries, it is important to remember that rideshare vehicles can also be involved in collisions. Regardless of whether you were injured in a crash involving an Uber or Lyft vehicle, or another type of motor vehicle accident, it is important to know what to do in the aftermath of the collision. Generally speaking, you should take the following steps to ensure that you are able to seek financial compensation for your losses:
- Take photographs at the scene of the motor vehicle crash, capturing both close-up images as well as images that show the whole scene more broadly (these photographs can help an accident reconstruction expert to prove your version of the events);
- Obtain contact information for anyone involved in the crash, as well as for witnesses around the scene;
- Get insurance information and other relevant details for anyone involved in the collision;
- Visit a healthcare provider as soon as possible to have any injuries assessed and treated quickly before they can worsen (and could potentially reduce your compensation if you file a car accident lawsuit);
- Report the accident as soon as possible to your auto insurer, but do not provide any subjective commentary about the collision—report just the facts until you have spoken with a car accident attorney; and
- Hire an experienced Florida car accident lawyer to begin working with you on your case, recognizing that you will need to file a lawsuit before the clock on the statute of limitations runs out.
Contact an Experienced Florida Auto Accident Lawyer
If you or someone you love sustained injuries in a motor vehicle collision, you should get in touch with an experienced West Palm Beach car accident attorney to learn more about seeking financial compensation. Contact Lesser Lesser Landy & Smith PLLC to learn more about how we can assist you.