Stuart Nursing Home Neglect Lawyer
Nursing home neglect is one of the most disturbing forms of mistreatment involving Americans for many reasons, but a top factor is the breach of trust when you rely on a facility to provide quality care. Unfortunately, such misconduct is somewhat common in Florida. A National Center for Victims of Crime report on Elder Victimization reveals that 1 in 10 individuals aged 65 and older will experience exploitation, including neglect and abuse. The fact that many victims lack the voice to express themselves makes these cases even more concerning.
Our lawyers at Lesser, Lesser Landy & Smith PLLC understand the horror you must experience when you learn that a loved one has suffered nursing home neglect. We’re dedicated to helping you seek justice against those who fail to uphold their legal duty regarding resident care. Please contact our office to set up a consultation with a Stuart nursing home neglect lawyer, and take time to review some important information about your claim.
Signs of Nursing Home Neglect
Initially, it’s important to realize that neglect is very different from abuse. The signs may not be as obvious as the bruises, broken bones, cuts, abrasions, or other indications of intentional misconduct. However, there are red flags that may indicate the presence of neglect, which can be just as harmful for your loved one. Examples include:
- Dirty, grimy conditions throughout the common areas, including the cafeteria, outdoor spaces, recreational zones, parking lots, and entryways;
- Filth, debris, and disorganization within resident spaces;
- Unlocked doors and insufficient security;
- Failure to properly administer medications;
- Soiled linens, towels, and resident clothing;
- Your loved one’s weight loss and dehydration; and,
- Many other suspicious signs that indicate neglect, understaffing, or failure to comply with the legal duty to ensure top quality care for the resident.
Take Action on Behalf of Your Loved One
If there’s an immediate threat to a resident, you should dial 911 right away and submit a complaint to the proper authorities – including the Florida Department of Health. In non-emergency cases, you may have to advocate for your loved one who doesn’t have the capacity to seek legal remedies. A nursing home neglect attorney can help with all aspects of the process, including:
- Investigating instances and conditions that indicate neglect;
- Dealing with the nursing home administration regarding the allegations;
- Filing a claim with an insurance company;
- Negotiating a settlement for your loved one’s losses; and/or,
- Suing in court to recover monetary damages for medical expenses, pain, suffering, and other losses that result from nursing home negligence.
Schedule a Consultation with a Stuart Nursing Home Neglect Lawyer Today
For more information on your rights and remedies in a nursing home neglect claim, please contact Lesser, Lesser Landy & Smith PLLC. You can reach our firm by calling 772-283-6839 or going online to set up a case assessment with a member of our team. Our attorneys serve clients in Stuart, FL and throughout Martin Count and Eastern Florida in a wide range of personal injury cases. We can tell you more about your legal options after reviewing the details of your matter.