Wellington Truck Accident Lawyer
Commercial trucks are an essential part of Wellington’s economy, but they also cause some of the worst crashes on the road. Many people think truck accidents are similar to car accidents, but that is not true. There are many unique facts about these crashes, and they can all make filing a claim for damages more challenging. If you have been hurt or have lost someone you love in a crash, it is important to work with a Wellington truck accident lawyer that will help you claim the maximum damages you deserve.
Types of Truck Accidents
There are many different types of truck accidents that occur on the roads. The most common of these include:
- Jackknife accidents: Large commercial trucks have a tractor and trailer that are attached by a piece of equipment known as a coupling. When couplings are defective or fail, the trailer can swing out and sit perpendicular to the tractor.
- Rollover accidents: Semi-trucks have higher centers of gravity than other vehicles, which makes them much more prone to rollover accidents. Any time a large truck rolls over, it places those inside at risk, as well as everyone else around the truck.
- Underride: Underride accidents occur when a smaller vehicle slides underneath large trucks, which is usually deadly for those inside. Although trucks should have shields on the sides and back to prevent this from happening, not all trucking companies comply with this regulation.
- Cargo spills: Many trucks carry dangerous substances and when these spill, it can pose a hazard to other drivers. Even when the cargo is considered safe, it is not when it spills out onto the road and creates a hazard for drivers.
Regardless of the type of truck accident, these crashes will always result in very serious injuries.
How are Truck Accidents Different from Car Accidents?
Due to the fact that truck accidents are auto accidents, it is easy to assume they are the same as car accidents, but they are not. Some of the main differences in these cases are as follows:
- Different laws: Car accidents in Wellington are governed by state law, but both state and federal laws apply to truck accidents, which can make filing a claim more difficult.
- Severity of injuries: Car accidents can result in serious injuries but due to the significant size and weight of trucks, the injuries that result from these crashes are much more severe.
- Potential liability: When a car accident occurs, it is usually one of the two drivers that are at fault. A number of parties may be liable for a truck accident though, including the truck driver, the trucking company, and even the cargo loading company.
The above are just a few of the main ways in which truck accidents are different from car crashes. An attorney will help you overcome the challenges these claims present so you recover the fair settlement you deserve.
Call Our Truck Accident Lawyers in Wellington Today
Filing a truck accident claim successfully poses many challenges, but at Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith, PLLC, our Wellington truck accident lawyers know how to overcome them. Call us today at 561-472-8165 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.